Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day & Catching Up

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!  I hope all the mommas (whether blessed with furry babies or real live small humans) out there have a fantastic day!  Maybe one day Mom will know about this blog and love to know she's been made famous.  Here's to you, Ma! <3

 My Mom, preggers with me in 1984 -- I want those glasses!

We've been so busy lately and our attention has been pulled in a million different directions.  Between Shrimp's family coming to visit, finding out where we will be moving next for work, training for a half marathon and getting ready for vacation we can barely keep our heads on straight.  I won't even get into our feelings on the political stuff that has been going on related to gay marriage in the last week!

Shrimp's family is great, but it was sooooooooooo nice to finally have our house back.  I think I just sat in quiet rooms without TVs or anything on after the week we had with them.  I guess since we rarely watch TV I didn't realize how much excessive volume it really adds to such a small house!

It seems like as soon as they left our attention immediately shifted to "The List."  The List, in most people's house refers to a number of things you have to get done.  For us, though, it meant a number of opportunities or a dreaded next few years.  You see, The List is just a list of the seven places I may have been moved for work, then we had to rank them (and explain WHY we wanted that rank... eeeeeek!), cross our fingers, and hope things came back in our favor.  Luckily three out of the seven places on The List were pretty attractive, including South Carolina, Georgia, and Northern Virginia.  We ended up getting Northern Virginia (yaaaaaaaaaaay!) so we get to stay in the DC area for another 2-3 years (double yaaaaaaaaaaaay!).  I think Shrimp would have killed me if I told her we were moving to Middle-Of-Nowhere, Missouri, San Antonio or El Paso, Texas.  The other option was Germany, but Shrimp couldn't work there and CAN YOU IMAGINE FLYING FOUR ANIMALS ACROSS THE OCEAN?!  I want to hyperventilate even thinking about it!  But thankfully we're staying pretty local :)

Half marathon training is going fairly well for not taking it all too seriously.  I had a little setback when I increased my mileage by too much and wasn't doing any short training runs (lesson learned -- 2 weeks no running = lame!), but I was able to keep biking during that time and everything is going A-OK!  I had my last long pre-race run on Friday night.  My colleagues and I ran to 10.5 miles from work to our house and followed it up with margaritas (fluid + carbohydrates + electrolytes!) and fajitas (protein, of course).  I am feeling surprisingly well, not really sore at all, and I'm hoping that means the race won't be too rough on me.  As we speak Shrimp is on her last training run.  She's running to the gym and I'm going to go pick her up (she's making me pump iron when I get there :/ haha).  Hope she's enjoying herself!

 Hard earned "re-fueling" post-run

Oh, did I mention a vacation?  Yes!  We get one of those!  We're heading out on a (very) brief cruise for Memorial Day weekend and couldn't be more excited about it.  We plan on spending all of our time doing absolutely nothing responsible.  We're not even planning shore excursions once we get to the Bahamas because that would be too task-oriented.  We are going with one of my friends, so Shrimp may feel the need to babysit us (and that may be appropriate), but I don't want to burden her so I might just have the bartenders make her drink a little stronger from the get-go so she doesn't worry herself too much ;)  My personal goal is to avoid wearing pants at all cost for 4 days.  I think I can do it!

I hope everyone's summers are kicking off well and you've got lots to look forward to!

Bon voyage!
~Tater

No comments:

Post a Comment